Thursday, August 13, 2009

Human Logic Vs. "Blind" Faith

I have been pondering this issue for months now. Over and over in my life people have told me that there has to be a balance between logic and faith. "God expects you to use the brain He gave you." "God helps those who help themselves." The advice goes on and on. But is that really the way it should be? Was it logical for men to leave their thriving fishing business, families, and homes to follow an unknown teacher and carpenter? Was is logical for Abraham to get up and go when he didn't even know where he was going? Maybe human logic is what kept Terah from God's blessing - after all, he left his home to head to Canaan and then stopped when he got to Haran. (Genesis 11:27-32. ) What did Terah miss out on because of logic? What have we all missed out on? I think I have probably missed out on a lot of things. Many of them I didn't even realize. How many things in our lives do we do just because that is the way it is done? How many things do we believe "that's God's will" just because it works out logically? How often do we really and truly seek His face, seek His path, earnestly and without prejudice? There are so many examples of this - take birth control for one. Before we got married, my mom took me to get a prescription for the pill, because that was what you did until you were ready to start a family. I never questioned it, never even thought to ask what God wanted us to do (not that I had asked about the marriage, my career, or anything else for that matter). We planned out how many and how far apart our kids would be and that is what happened. When things worked out so that doctors said we should only have four - that was great, that's what we had decided too, so it must be God's will, right? But did we ask? No. What about where to live - city, state, even house? We looked and looked, but did we really do what God wanted? Did we really ask and listen for the answer? What about school curriculum? What about money we spend? What about getting a dog? What about what I had for breakfast this morning? How often do we ask? How often do we really listen for the answer? When we get the answer, and it isn't logical, how often do we think we must have misheard? But when people have the faith to follow, no matter how illogical, how often do we question them, criticize even? I know I catch myself doing just that, but doesn't that show a huge lack of faith and an even bigger lack of understanding what faith really is? Life isn't always logical, but God always knows the best way. Maybe we need to focus on more faith and less logic...

Rachel Hutcherson

1 comment:

Courtney said...

We had someone remind us recently that not everyone will learn the "faith" lesson, some may in time, and some may never.

We fortunately had some excellent teaching on this about ten years ago and that has shaped our understanding and growing.

It is definately an ongoing process, though. It seems as if there is always that "one more thing" that we want to maintain control over.